- Color. Yes, like in a coloring book. Some of you are much more talented than I in your artistic abilities and can actually draw beautiful and glorious pictures. That’s also a great option, but for those of us like myself there are a variety of adult coloring books at most bookstores as well currently at Costco. My Mother-in-law gave me this one last year while my husband and I were visiting for Thanksgiving. It doesn’t hurt to be drinking a white peppermint mocha while coloring on a road trip.
- Play a game. Any assortment of cards, Scrabble, Monopoly (some people enjoy the 5 hours of torture, I personally do not), Jenga, Solitaire, you name it. These things will keep your mind thinking without getting you thinking about all the things pressing on your mind. This can be done alone or with a friend/family member.
- Read or write a book. Many people love getting lost in the story of a good book, or challenging themselves by reading a book that motivates them to grow in some area. Others, like my husband, have so many thoughts going through their minds that they can beautifully put words down on a page.
- Cook or bake something. I personally find baking something new very therapeutic. That doesn’t mean that I love cooking dinner every night….but when I have a few extra minutes I love whipping up a new (generally sweet) recipe to taste.
- Pamper yourself. Try a new face mask with ingredients you have in your kitchen (honey and yogurt, avocado….the list goes on) or give yourself a mani/pedi. Sometimes my husband lets me give him a face mask too (it takes about 5 minutes of begging…then he happily obliges)
Don’t forget to take a minute and breathe. You are going to make it! Life is fun…don’t let yourself get too bogged down with all the “have to’s”. Sometimes I’ll even reward myself….if I stay focused and get a lot done at work today then after dinner I’ll paint my toes.
What do you do to give yourself a break from the stresses of life?